Vestdalseyri is a neck of land in a fjord called Seyðisfjörður in East Iceland.
On this neck of land was a village in the years from 1851 to 1963.
In 1860 lived a total of 214 people in the fjord, there of 15 on Vestdalseyri. In 1880 there lived around 70-85 people there. The village of Vestdalseyri became part of Seyðisfjörður village in 1895.
The building, that these remaining ruins present, was built in 1865 as a Whaling Station that two men from New York ran, Thomas Roys and Gustav Liljendahl. They had some large whaling vessels in the years 1865 to 1868. The melting and processing of the whale meat mostly took place on the vessels. In the summer of 1868, they produced 2,330 barrels of whale oil at a value of 100,000 state dollars.
Danish whale catcher, Hammer, bought the stations in 1869 but became scarce.
Gránufélagið acquired all buildings in Vestdalseyri in 1872 and ran a shop in the house from 1874 to 1913.
In 2016 the village of Seyðisfjörður made an idea-competitions of what Vestdalseyri could be used for. This competitions started the conversation to allow again to build in Vestdalseyri, nothing has been decided about that since.
We hope you will enjoy exploring the ruins as much as we enjoy capturing it.